Sunday, May 04, 2008

GO-32 Satellite - APRS Operation

On my second attempt, I was able to transmit an APRS position report packet via the GO-32 satellite and receive the digipeated packet for confirmation.

How did I do it? Well, I followed Bob's directions on http://eng.usna.navy.mil/~bruninga/GO32-ops.html and used my new Kenwood TM-D710 with the dual band mobile antenna on top of Amy's van.

I'll try to explain the image below. It is a picture of the display on the Kenwood TM-D710. The top line basically says I'm in APRS 9600 bps mode and the time. The next few lines represent unsuccessful packets. The lines that matter are near the end.

NE3R-9>3Y2R2Q,4XTECH*:'i6(l ←v/]50W Mobile with 19" dual band whip=

That is my position report as I received it on the satellite's downlink frequency. The 4XTECH* represents the station that digipeated my packet.




Here is a pic of some random other packets I received during the pass.

No comments: