Saturday, November 29, 2008

Already breaking campaign promises?

Word is that the Obama transition team has requested information on the cost savings of canceling the Ares 1 & Orion projects. I recall during the campaign that Obama pledged funding into NASA aimed in part at narrowing the gap between the Space Shuttle's retirement and the introduction of a successor system. While I thing that the Ares 1 rocket isn't the best thing ever conceived by NASA, it does use a lot of existing technology, keeping cost down and likely bringing it to a quicker reality. Starting from scratch with a new administration would be counter productive, costly, and would widen the gap between the Space Shuttle's retirement and the next era in space travel. Of course, I haven't seen the actual questionnaire, so there could be much much more detailed information that indicates otherwise, but this is not the best of signs. I wonder how my big tax cut is coming?

No comments: