Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Doing work?

Is it bad that by day two at the customer site that I’m ready to pull out the rest of my hair? They have so many self inflected problems. At first, the place seemed to have all of these processes and controls in place for systems management, but then I learned differently. Software accidentally gets installed on Exchange mailbox servers. Software with known incompatibilities with Exchange is running on the mailbox servers. There was an unexpected reboot of an Exchange mailbox server today, but there was a sense of normalcy about the event. I heard a story about an outage a few weeks ago that required complete data recovery, and it was the first time they had ever attempted complete data recovery. Operating system patches are installed without testing against Exchange server. And then they drop the bomb shell, that this is the way it is and it will take years to change. I think they have the wrong person filling this role.

No comments: