Friday, February 09, 2007

What doesn't Google do?

I was working on a document at home last night that I thought I might not finish and would work in during lunch at work. I decided, instead of e-mailing it to myself like I normally do, I would just load the document into Google Docs & Spreadsheets.



I was a little surprised at how much like it was like using Microsoft Word. That doesn't mean that all the fancy high end features that Word can do will work in Google Docs & Spreadsheets, but for basic document editing on any platform anywhere, it is really handy. I'll have to check the terms of use, privacy policy, & legal notices first, but I might move most or all of my word processing and document management, I can even publish documents directly to blogspot (it can publish to other blog systems as well).




I don't think I really have a use for it yet, but the spreadsheet functions seemed pretty neat, so I uploaded a spreadsheet from work just to see what it would do. Everything worked, formulas and all. Again, it was a simple spreadsheet with just a basic formula, but that is all most people need.



I haven't used it yet but it looks like these documents can be shared and worked on by more than one person. Many enterprise document management systems have a hard time doing that. Even without collaboration, the revisions feature might be a lifesaver.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

joe,
first of all, congrats on the extra. i just read your question of 1296mhz on eham and decided to run your call to see what popped. i thought it was possible you could've been local to me, but not the case. i too have the interest in that band and i'm working on getting things together here for it. i've finally gotten a new base radio replacing my old kenwood ts430s and it's a kenwood ts2000x. i've got an icom t81 already and a comet gp98 antenna. i still need to get some hardline cable, new masting and mounts for my chimney, and some people willing to put it up for me 3 stories in the air. i can't do it as i recently became dissabled, but even that asside i'd have needed help anyway as i'm not getting any younger.
anyway, i don't know what all you have for equipment, but by the antenna i'd imagine you have hf. if you'd like to talk further about 1296mhz or any other topic we can do so via the internet or on the air if you'd like to try to make a sked. my guess would be 75mtrs because of our proximity to each other, but maybe 40mtrs if during the day as i'm in pittsburgh. if you get to see this ok please let me know you've read this and tell me via email regardless if you wish further contact or not.
again congrats and 73s from
niel
n3ghx(at)yahoo(dot)com