Wednesday, April 29, 2009

United States Flag Retirement

Cub Scout Pack 285 in Frederick Maryland, of which Alex is a member held a retirement ceremony for United States flags on Tuesday. It was very interesting to see these young boys soak up some respect for the flag.

I remember my early Boy Scout years, my Scoutmaster for troop 494 was very particular about respect for the flag. I failed a board of review for one of the lower ranks because I wasn't able to fold it correctly, and I forgot the symbolism meaning of the colors. I think I passed it the very next week, but it stuck with me long enough to remember it. Folding a flag so that there is absolutely no red showing is a little tough.

Alex's tiger den now performs an opening flag ceremony at every den meeting, and they also performed an opening flag ceremony at one pack meeting. While this is a lot more than is required, I think it helps them learn respect for their country and its flag. The pack's flag retirement ceremony seemed to reinforce the idea.

No comments: