Thursday, March 27, 2008

www. barackobama.com – no search?

Why does Barak Obama's web site omit a search feature? John McCain's site has one, as well as just about every other important web site on the Internet. I find it interesting that a candidate who claims to be so transparent would have a web site that lacks search. So, was this just something that was missed when the web site was designed or are they really hiding something? Since I generally dislike a web site's built in search, I tend to use Google or Microsoft Live to search the site and this works on barackobama.com. This either means they have nothing to hide, they really aren't good at hiding whatever it is they might want to hide, or they are really slick, and allow most things to be read by the robots, but leave out the controversial stuff.

Why did I discover this? I was eating lunch and thought to check out what the candidates had to say about Osama bin Laden. I started with John McCain's site, using the search box on the site I got several hits and read a few, but nothing really excited me. Then I went to Obama's site and figured I'd do the same, but all I did was look for the search box that didn't exist, so I turned to Live search, and found what I was looking for.

For those of you that want to know – you can search a specific web site with most search engines by adding the text "site:sitetosearch.com". IE: "Search Term site:www.barackobama.com". This will work on Live, Google, Yahoo, and others.


No comments: