Tuesday, June 30, 2009

I'm starting to understand something

When I mentioned to a few people that Amy and I were going to take in her four month old (at the time) sister, the response I received was shocking to me. It was as if we were saints, seriously, the praise was over the top. I didn't understand it. There is a child that needs parents, we are parents, and I think we are pretty good parents, so what else were we going to do? And wouldn't anybody who could do the same, do the same?

I'm starting to get it, this has been a pretty painful period in our life, something I never expected, at least not so much so fast. To make a long story short, she was taken into Social Services before we were ready. I never once thought that that was going to happen, as far as I knew she was being well taken care of (and she was, but what happened is a totally different story), living the quiet country life. The worst of it was that one telephone call to me or Amy and the baby would be with us instead of in the system. Not that we were completely ready but in that situation, a stop at Wal-Mart on the way home would have been all we needed to get through the first few days.

Maybe some of that praise was because others knew what we were about to get involved in. I was oblivious, and I put my heart into it, and I'm paying the price, and I'll continue to do so as long as there is hope. And that is what I think folks were so praising of.

1 comment:

Rob Gillen said...

Joe,

as someone who has adopted two children, I have a slight idea of what you are going through. If there is anything we can do to help, please let us know.

rob gillen - planet