Monday, February 14, 2005

First Day at New Job

Today is my first day at my new job. I’m on another federal government contract down in Washington DC. It has been a fairly unproductive day, as you might expect for one’s first day on the job. Most importantly, I don’t have admin rights on my computer yet. Its driving me a little crazy because it forces me to use IE instead of FireFox. I also can’t install any messengers, not even MSN. I can, however, access my blog, so I figured I would write this update.

Not unexpected, but still, rather disappointing, is the quality of the PC I was issued. It is a Gateway E Series, 2.4ghz with 512 megabytes of memory and a 17” CRT. The real problem for me is the CRT, it is a little on the small side, and doesn’t support resolutions above 1024x768. That is going to take some getting used to when working on those design diagrams, my last job I had two flat panel monitors running 1024x768 each, and at home, my two flat panels run 1600x1200 each.

The commute wasn’t so bad, I found that I can still fall asleep on the train in the morning. I’ll probably be bored out of my mind on the way home though. I should be catching the 5:10pm train that should put me home around 6:30 or so. I’ll have to see, it has been a while since I’ve taken the train in and out of DC.

No comments: