Monday, March 23, 2009

No more Windows XP at home

The last computer running Windows XP at home has been upgraded, well, formatted and had Windows Vista installed. My XP installation was showing signs that it might have a virus, which was all the reason I needed to wipe it clean.

Vista runs well on this 4 1/2 year old PC with a recently upgraded video card and 3 gigabytes of memory. I also installed Internet Explorer 8, which seems OK so far, with some slight page formatting issues with gmail.

I'm also using Vista's parental controls on a generic login I created for the children. They can only run programs or access web sites that I specify on a list. Their hours are also limited. Alex came down stairs the other night and said, "I know it's bed time" and we asked, "how do you know that", and he said, "because I can't get on the computer".

My old laptop also got a fresh Linux install. The hard drive had died a while back, and I just now got around to replacing it with a free drive I got several months ago. It is a Dell Pentium 3 with 768 megabytes of memory running Slackware 12.2.

No comments: