Monday, July 11, 2005

Dennis on 14.325 Megahertz

I bought a ham radio a while back, hoping to have my general license. It was a bit of an impulse buy because it was a good deal on Ebay. Anyway, since I haven’t even studied or practiced code, I decided to sell it. That and I bought a different radio that I can actually use with my license that I need to pay for.

I can’t transmit, but I can listen, sort of. Yesterday, the big news was hurricane Dennis, so, I tuned in to the hurricane net on 14.325 Megahertz on the 20 meter ham band. Just to listen. Since I don’t have a real antenna, I just hooked up a wire to an antenna tuner and hoped to hear something. My antenna really wasn’t working well at all, I could occasionally hear the net control station out of Miami, but that was about it. Still, It was fun to listen, and, it kept me busy for a few hours yesterday.

No comments: