Friday, February 20, 2009

Seven more guppies

A few days ago I spotted a few more guppy fry in the aquarium. Oddly enough, they were in the worm feeder that I haven't used in a few weeks. They must have been just a few hours old when I spotted them. It took a while to find them all, but over the next day I was able to count seven, and I'm pretty sure that is it. That is a lot of guppies! For a while, four of them were hanging out by the filter, which leaves them sort of exposed to be eaten by some of the larger fish, but it seems that their little fish brains have figured out that staying in the floating plant will give them the best chance of survival.

The original two guppy fry are growing quite well, they are taking on their guppy like characteristics. I'm still not sure of their sexes yet, but I'm leaning toward female, but they'll need to get a little bigger before I know for sure.

The tank biology and chemistry still isn't quite right. I need it to stabilize before I add some more fish. I really need to get my neons, then the angel fish. I'm planning on having four angel fish to keep the guppy population in check!

No comments: