Wednesday, November 17, 2004

Spam at Work

Ok – I don’t get it, people don’t blame the post office when they receive junk mail in their US Mail box. Why do they jump all over us E-mail administrators when they get SPAM. When we try to do something about it, we get slammed for blocking that one important newsletter that somebody reads daily. SPAM filter technology isn’t perfect, SPAM will always make it through, the only thing we as E-Mail administrators can do about it is try and filter as much as we can.

I personally get about 5 spam messages per day on my home e-mail addresses. Nearly all of those are caught by Microsoft Outlooks built in spam filter. Even before I implemented that, it wasn’t so bad, I just deleted it. Why is it that some people treat spam as if someone had broken into their house and stole their TV. I agree, it is a problem, but really, its nothing to lose sleep over.

I have a feeling that I will have a new project on my plate at work soon, architecting a new anti-spam solution. What fun. At least I’ve done it before.

2 comments:

Motherhood for the Weak said...

I don't know, it's weird. I get no spam at home, none. I also don't miss any important emails.

At work I get 30-50 spam emails a day. I dread coming back from a vacation. Of course my corporate email is on the webpage so that makes it easy for spammers.

I don't require the IT dept to catch them all, but 80-90% would be nice. Still I'm in a Fortune 500 multi-billion dollar company and this is the best we can do?

Seems odd to me.

Nice blog by the way!

Michelle

Anonymous said...

I agree that spam is not that big of a deal. It is less of a pain then all the paper that clutters my house when I get snail mail junk. The only problem I do see with spam is when it is a virus or worm or spyware or whatever nasty stuff somebody created to burden our lives. But regular ole spam, I just delete no biggie.