Thursday, January 22, 2009

Eight Guppies

I know it is way to early, but I just couldn't stand looking at an empty tank. Since the tank is good sized, and guppies are small, they should be OK. I'll need to keep an eye on the ammonia levels in the tank to make sure the fish aren't poisoned by their own waste. So far, my water tests show a trace amount of ammonia, maybe 0.1 parts per million.


Male guppy


So, I've added two male guppies to the tank, with six female guppies. I took extra care in acclimating them to the tank so the fish are stressed as little as possible, because they might have to be stressed with higher ammonia levels for a little while. I follow the rule of three to one females to males because male guppies can fight over to few females, and if they are chasing the same female all the time, it will stress out and can kill the female.

Female guppy


Back when I had my thirty gallon tank, I took a couple of pictures with a thirty-five millimeter camera, you could see fish but they didn't turn out that great. These days, with digital cameras, you can keep taking pictures until you get it right, and you can see it right away and adjust. So, I was able to get some OK shots and crop them down to individual fish.

No comments: