Tuesday, January 27, 2009

To Help Other People…

This morning when I went out to start my car, a neighbor asked me if I could give him a jump start. “Sure”, I said, knowing that I had been running on a weak battery for several months before replacing it recently and could have needed the same then. The neighbor’s vehicle is a large old 70’s style Ford Bronco; my car barely had enough juice to turn it over! After he got it started, I still needed to run inside and grab a few things for work, and return the broom that I used to brush the snow off of the cars.

When I got inside, Alex asks “Why did you help that guy?” I think I hesitated a bit, but answered, “Well, I was a Cub Scout, and what do Cub Scouts promise to do?” To which Alex replies after a few seconds of thought, “to help other people.” “Yes”, I said and continue on with the conversation about how it is good to help others when Amy chimes in and says, “He was one of the neighbors who helped me bring in the aquarium.” I said, “Really, wow, I didn’t know that.” I think Alex got a good lesson this morning. It is one of those times when all seems right with the world.

No comments: